Sunday, April 17, 2011

the simple pleasures


Aside from eggs, I love noodles.  The two together?  Heaven.  Add a bit o' Korean spices, and make it quick and easy as hell to cook, and you've got complete happiness.  So, I thought I'd share with you, dear reader, one of my all time favorite simple pleasures: instant ramen with the perfect soft-boiled egg.  

Now, I cannot take credit for coming up with this perfect soft-boiled egg recipe...that goes to my lovely boyfriend, Travis.  But trust me when I say "perfect" - soft, cooked white, encapsulating the golden yolk waiting to ooze out.  The flavor, once released from the egg, adding a depth and richness to the instant noodle broth that will make you forget that it was ever labeled "instant".  

(However, I will add that buying a better quality instant ramen does make a huge difference.  I'm a big fan of the Korean ones - the spice makes the broth less salty.)  

What you need:
- 1 small pot
- 1 egg (per person)
- a timer
- water (duh)

1.) It is best to have both the pot of water for the broth/noodles and the pot of water with the egg (just enough water to cover the egg) started at the same time.

2.) Once the pot of water with the egg is boiling, start your timer for EXACTLY three minutes, as for the pot of water for the broth/noodles, add the broth and condiments first, but not the noodles yet, and lower the water to a simmer.

3.) After three minutes, take the pot of water with the egg off the stove and with cold water pouring into the pot, count for 30 seconds while pouring out the hot water slowly 

4.) At this point, throw the noodles into the simmering water and stir to make sure all of the noodles are cooking. 

5.) With the back edge of a butter knife, gently tap the top of the egg to form a ring of cracks.  Then, under slowly trickling cool water, CAREFULLY peel the egg and place it into the bowl you will use for the soup.  

6.) Pour the broth and noodles from the pot into the bowl with the egg, grab a soup spoon and some chopsticks, and enjoy!

my egg is a little overcooked here

No comments:

Post a Comment