Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Scariest Egg Dish Ever! (My Ignorant Westerner Post)

As you probably know...I love eggs.  Love them.  Everything about them.

What you might not know is that I also pride myself as being a huge foodie, food tourist, and adventurous eater.  I live by the motto: try everything at least once.

I also looooooove ducks - not only are they very cute with their little quacks and spastic flapping when flying, but super ridiculously tasty.



NOW.  With that being said, there are a few dishes that make my stomach turn at just the thought of them.  Perhaps one day, I'll suck it up (HA!) and try them, but in the meantime...I try to avoid.

One such dish from the Philippines is balut.  Seriously, I don't know how they do it.

Starts off innocent enough - take some duck (sometimes chicken) eggs and cook them.  Tasty, right?


NO!  It's a 17-21 days old, partially developed bird fetus!  It's not even a vague sense of development and shape - IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK.
from Philippines Food Recipes blog

Essentially, balut is street food.  Here's how it's *enjoyed*:

1. Crack tip of egg enough to make a small hole so you can suck out the juices.

from EdiblyAsian.com

2. Open up the egg some more, add a pinch of salt, and CHOMP!

from gpwa.com

Yes, it is very intense if you're not used to it (which I am definitely not).  But, it's part of another country's culture and cuisine, just as hamburgers are part of ours.  Perhaps one day I'll try belut, then I'd get this shirt:



No comments:

Post a Comment